Saturday 19 April 2014

Final Two Weeks and Final Words

I cannot believe I am writing a post about my final two weeks at the Home. Although it feels like I have been away from home for a while, I cannot believe that I was there for nearly 7.5 months! Despite this long period of time, I was still getting involved in new things at the home...

Home visits

As usual when there is a school holiday, the children leave the Home to spend time with their relatives or foster families. Although this meant the week commencing the 31st March was very quiet, I was able to assist the social workers in their house visits. This is when the children receive a visit from the Saint Anthony’s staff to ensure everything is going well and running smoothly. Since starting my voluntary work, I have picked up the children from their time away as well as dropped them off however I have never officially “visited” them. I have wanted to do so for a while now however I wasn’t able to in December, so this was really my last chance to get involved and I am very happy that Mlondi let me come along!

So on the 2nd April, myself, Mlondi (family reunification), Sis Mooi (social worker), Sis Jabu (care worker), sis Thuli (care worker) and Sis Khanysile (care worker) headed for Ladysmith at 6 am! The reason for this rather early start is because a lot of the Saint Anthony’s children stay in Ladysmith therefore we wanted to visit as many of them as possible.

So after a good two hour drive, we arrived in a township Colenso where two of the teenage girls (Nompilo and Philile) were staying with their relative. This visit was one of our top priorities because one of the girls had misbehaved last time she stayed with this particular relative (Christmas holidays) and so Mlondi wanted to address these issues. Mlondi led the discussion with the relative, her husband and also with the girls.     



Our next stop was Siyabonga and Thokozane. The two boys were removed from their mother due to her alcohol problems which led her to neglect her boys. They now spend their school holidays with their biological dad and step mother. Mlondi is currently in the process on reunify the boys with their father and is hoping to have completed this by the end of the year.





We then drove another 40 minutes to a township called Wenen. I later on found out that this was actually the place where Malume, the director of the Home, was born and where he spent a big part of his childhood! Here we visited Siboniso who is one of the teenage boys, who wasn’t with relatives but with a foster family. The area, where the foster family were, was very isolated (although absolutely stunning!), which couldn’t have been very easy for him considering he is 18 years old! However when Mlondi asked him whether he was enjoying his time there he replied “yes, it’s nice to be in a family where there is both the mother and the father present.”   




After this visit, we went to other foster families, which I had been to already in January to pick up the children. As always they were very welcoming and offered us drinks and cake! We also received some very good news... The neighbours of Simelokuhle (I wrote about him in one of my previous posts) have said they would like to become Simelokuhle’s official foster parents! Mlondi will therefore get the ball rolling and assist them with the paper work. Hopefully he can return to his community and home by the end of the year!

As you can see, going along to the house visits meant I was not only able to see where and with whom the children were living but also get a better idea of their story and the challenges they are facing. I was also able to see some of the beautiful scenery in KZN which you wouldn’t really see if you kept to the main roads...





Picking up the children

As the school holidays we just one week, it wasn’t long before we had to return to Ladysmith to pick up the same children we had just visited and bring them back to Saint Anthony’s. It was really nice to accompany Mlondi (in the brand new Ford Ranger!) and go not only to the homes we had visited that week but also return to the homes I had picked the children up from back in January.   

Movie night with the teenage girls

By this point, I just had one week left with the children therefore I tried to spend as much time with them as possible. If you remember, the teenage girls were the first children to approach me and invite me into their cottage. Ever since that day, I have spent 85% of my evenings with them. Therefore to thank them for looking after me and to make them feel special, I invited them to my house on Friday evening (12th April) for a girly movie night. I put blankets and cushions on the floor and bought some goodies for them to enjoy during the film like marshmallows, popcorn (they love the stuff) and choccies! So after dinner all 16 of them and their care worker marched over to my house singing their heads off and together we watched two films: 13 going on 30 and Stomp the Yard. They had an amazing time and were still talking about the dance film days later!


My farewell

So after 7.5 months, it was time to say goodbye to the amazing Saint Anthony’s Home and the beautiful country that is South Africa. The goodbyes started in the morning after mass (Sunday 13th April) when I was called to the front of the whole congregation (just like my official welcome, the church was PACKED because it was Palm Sunday!). I greeted them all in Zulu, explained to them the amazing time that I had had and thanked them for making me feel so welcome and safe. I had to fight very hard not to cry however as soon as I returned to my seat and saw Sindi cry, I burst into tears myself L not the best of starts!

I spent part of my day with the toddlers and the teenage girls. We ate together outside and played games. I was then asked to go to the TV room where all of the staff and all of the children were seated to official say farewell. The ceremony started with a prayer, then a hymn during which Auntie Phumi and Sis Mabu dressed me in a woman’s traditional Zulu outfit. It was a gift from the Home to me:


Malume then went onto making a very moving speech which very quickly brought me to tears (AGAIN!). Each member of staff then said their own message; they all thanked me for the work I had done and the time I had spent with the children. It was then the children’s turn to sing/dance. The teenage girls even sang a song about me! We also danced together for the last time the hip hop routine I had taught them J After the activities, two children from each cottage came forward and said their own little goodbye message to me. As you can imagine, it wasn’t long before I was in tears again! It was then my turn to say my goodbye speech. I again thanked them all for making me feel so welcome and for allowing me into their big family. It was all very emotional but the best send off I have ever had.

Final words

I would like to take this opportunity to again thank Saint Anthony’s for allowing me to be with them for the past 7.5 months. All those who know me will know that I have wanted to be a volunteer in an orphanage since the age of 14. By letting me come to Saint Anthony’s, they allowed me to fulfil my dream! This experience has been more incredible than I ever thought it would be. I feel so blessed to have been given this chance and will cherish the memories made for a very long time. I would like to thank everyone who has supported me throughout my stay. Thank you for all of your kind messages of support, your prayers and your generous donations. Thank you so much for reading my blog, promoting it and sharing the link. Together we are making people around the world aware of the amazing work that Saint Anthony’s is doing to the children and the surrounding community.

If my adventure has inspired you to something similar, please do not hesitate to contact me! My email address is isabel@cwgrain.com. I have had the time of my life and would really encourage everyone to do it! If you would like to make a donation to the home, please visit their website: stanthonyshome.org.

Although this is my last post, you can keep up with the Home by liking their Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Saint-Anthonys-Home/1417965511759540?ref=br_tf. I am also very pleased to announce I will be talking about Saint Anthony’s Home and my experience there on BBC Essex on Sunday 11th May at 8:00 am.

Again thank you so so so much for reading my blog and for your amazing support.       

Isabel x





No comments:

Post a Comment