Monday 4 November 2013

Golden Jubilee Celebration

Hey everyone!

Hope you are all keeping well! Sorry for being so quiet lately!The Home's Jubilee Celebration, which was celebrated on Saturday 26th October, has been keeping me very busy. However now that it is all over I want to tell you ALL about it J

Although most of the staff had been preparing for the celebration for the past month, things really started to come together Wednesday (23rd October) when the two cows donated by the M.E.C of Health were slaughtered on the grounds of the Home. I knew this was going to happen on that day and I was really dreading it! Having spoken to Nkosikhona, one of Saint Anthony’s garden and maintenance workers, about the slaughter, it was something I definitely did NOT want to see. I was told the cows would be slaughtered at around 2 pm so at around 4 I thought it would be safe to go and see the girls who, at that time, are normally cleaning their clothes outside. It was only once I had walked around the corner that I realised I had in fact arrived right in the middle of the slaughter! Approximately 7 metres away from me, there was one cow laying on the floor dead and another still in the trailer about to be slaughtered.



As I arrived, some of the Child and Youth Care workers told me to come and sit with them to watch the slaughtering... All I wanted to do was run in the opposite direction but that would have come across very rude. So I did the polite thing and sat with them all. The cow that was in the trailer was then attached to a tree where it was then killed (its throat was slit using a long knife). I didn’t watch this part, instead I looked away and blocked my ears as I did not want to hear the cow cry... (I'm a wuss, I know!) After this, the skinning began:






That evening, some of the cow was braaied (same as being barbecued) so that everyone could have a taste. I’m not going to lie, it tasted delicious!

The following day (Thursday 24th October) was again full of preparations! The two main tents were erected, Robin Williams, a parishioner from Rayleigh, arrived at Saint Anthony (I will tell you more about his stay in another post) and Malume and myself drove all the way to Durban and back!!! This was to pick up the report we had professionally printed, which Malume wanted to give out during the celebration (I have spoke about this report in my previous post). Please feel free to download your own copy, print it and share it:

Our contact person told us the reports would be ready by 3pm therefore Malume and I had planned to leave by latest 10am (it takes 4 hours to get to Durban from Blaauwbosch). However Malume's morning meeting took longer than expected meaning we only left Saint Anthony’s at 12:30pm! Nevertheless, thanks to Malume’s excellent driving we managed to get to Durban by 3:45pm J Unfortunately as we arrive in Durban, we received a phone call from the printing agency who tells us that the machine which binds the report has broken down and will only be fixed by 9pm!!! As you can imagine, we were not amused, especially when he had phoned us whilst we were on our way to tell us to arrive as quick as possible! Very cheeky!

Once we arrived, they reassured us that the machine had been fixed and that the reports would in fact be ready at 7:30pm. Although this meant we wouldn’t get back to Blaauwbosch until very late, I was pleased it wasn’t 9pm... At 7:30pm, we receive a phone call from them to say that actually the reports would be ready at 8:15pm. At 8:30pm we still haven’t heard from them and when Malume tried to call them, it goes straight to answer phone! Nightmare! At 9pm, they inform us the reports are ready and that they were making their way to the place we had agreed to meet. 15 mins later, Malume and I arrived at the car park (our meeting point) to find no sign (surprise surprise!!!) of our contact person. At this point I was starting to lose patience (Malume had already lost it 3 hours ago) as we still had a 4 hour car journey ahead of us! The guy eventually arrived at 9:45pm; we quickly loaded up the car with the 2000 booklets and made our way back to Blaauwbosch. By 3:00am, I was tucked up in bed. Malume again drove amazingly well (with the help of 5 redbulls!).

Friday was extremely busy but although there was a lot to be done, everyone was very calm and smiley! I was up until 3am finalising, printing, folding and stapling the 200 programmes, which contained the hymns for the mass as well as what will be happening throughout the day such as speeches, entertainment, lunch etc. However those in the catering team were up all night! That is mainly because Saint Anthony’s did everything themselves from the decorating and music to the catering! That’s right, Saint Anthony’s fed over 500 people with a team of about 15 staff!!! They worked really hard and not once complained! On the contrary, as I was heading to bed, I could hear them singing J Mbongiseni had organised for a big group of traditional dancers to come and perform at the celebration. He picked them up from Ladysmith on Friday night which meant they needed somewhere to stay... all 60 of them! As they only arrived at midnight, the older children were up until very late helping set up mattresses for them all. The whole of Saint Anthony’s came together and worked as a team to make this day happen.

After just 4 hours sleep, the big day had arrived! The rain had thankfully stopped and the sun came out to play! Malume had put me in charge of taking pictures whilst Robin was in charge of filming the celebration. The day started with a mass in one of the three marquees and was said by The Bishop of Dundee, Bishop Graham Rose, supported by other members of the local clergy. This was followed by the unveiling of the stone, moving and heart warming testimonies from various Board members and former residents of Saint Anthony’s as well as a speech from the M.E.C of Health of KwaZulu Natal! These were broken up with performance from the professional dance troop, the Saint Anthony’s children and the staff!!! Guests were then invited to have a nice big lunch J Everyone left with very full stomachs! All in all, it was a fantastic day filled with smiles, tears and laughter! However it would never have been possible without the hard work of all the Saint Anthony’s staff! They all did a tremendous job and many of the guests commented on the amazing team spirit of Saint Anthony’s.

It will definitely be a day that many people will remember for a long time and I feel privileged to have been part of it and helped make it happen!

Isabel x

P.S: I am still waiting on Malume to give me a copy of the photos. Once I have them, I will make sure to post them on here.  



  

No comments:

Post a Comment