Monday 2 September 2013

Hey everyone!!!

So I thought I should use my first post to introduce myself...

My name is Isabel Ashdown. I’m 22 years old and have just graduated from Bath University with a Bachelor of Science in International Management and Modern Languages (German). However instead of starting a career immediately, I have decided to work for 8 months in an orphanage in Blaauwbosch, a township 3 hours away from Johannesburg.

Where did it all start?

So where did this all start.... Since the age of 14 I have been doing voluntary work mainly in my local community. For 2 years I was a member of the Saint Vincent de Paul group, which meets up once a week and visits elderly parishioners in their homes. For the past 8 years, I have also been a member of the Brentwood Catholic Youth Service (BCYS, bcys.net) and I have gone on 5 of their summer pilgrimage to Lourdes (three times as a young person and twice as a small group leader).

However three years ago, my family and I spent Christmas in Gambia, Western Africa.  On one of the days, we decided to go and mingle with the locals. We visited a school and a family compound. It was then that I fell in love with the country and its people. Since that day, I made a promise to myself that I will return to the continent as a volunteer.

The Orphanage

So here I am today, sitting in Dubai airport waiting for my connecting plane to Johannesburg! The orphanage in which I will be working for 8 months is called Saint Anthony’s Home (http://stanthonyshome.org/). They care for a large number of children whose parents are either not able to look after them or have been physically or mentally abused by their parents. Additionally, the Home runs a reunification program in which children are paired with foster families who look after them during the school holidays. The ages of the children range between 0 to 18 years old.

What am I hoping to achieve?

Although I will have a more concrete idea of what I will and won’t be able to achieve during my time at the Home, I do have a few ideas in my head of what I would like to do. This includes:

·         Set up/continue the ICT lessons: one of the previous volunteers started up an ICT club for some of the older children as the Home has a room with about 10 computers. Therefore I am hoping to continue the work which was started earlier on this year.
·         Set up a dance club: dancing has been part of my life since the age of 4. However dancing in Europe is very different to dance in South Africa. Therefore with a dance club I am hoping to encourage the children to have some fun whilst keeping fit but also to exchange and mix some dance genre.
·      Raise awareness of HIV and Aids: the problem of HIV and Aids in Africa is not a secret however I have the feeling it is something which is often brushed onto the carpet. I am hoping to change this attitude within the Home and create awareness of the illness but also how it can be prevented and treated. I also want to find a way in which each child who stays at the orphanage is able to find their status and receive treatment if tested positive. I am aware that this is a lot to achieve in a small space of time but at least I can get the ball rolling.
·      Improve the Home’s website: although the Home has a good website, I would like to make it more eye catching, accessible and more functional. In other words, give it a bit of a face lift.

That’s it from me for today J I hope this has given you a better idea of what I am doing and why I am doing so. If you have any feedback or maybe would like some more information about something please do not hesitate to contact me. At the end of the day, I have created this blog not only so that family and friends can see what I have been up to but also to encourage others to do the same as what I am doing. It is often easier to embark on something like this knowing that someone similar to yourself has gone alone to the same/similar place, had an amazing time and come back all in one piece. I know I haven’t quite arrived yet but I have no doubt the experience will be amazing


Isabel x

No comments:

Post a Comment