Wednesday 11 September 2013

Sunday, Monday and Tuesday

Tuesday 10th of September – My Welcoming Mass

First and foremost, I want to say OUTCH!!!! My thighs are absolutely killing me from the pilgrimage yesterday! I am dreading tomorrow’s pain... But anyway, let’s get onto more important things...

Tuesday started off like most days with me assisting the office staff with their work. However today was also the day the men of the Home thanked the women for their hard work. Therefore at lunch we had (yet another) massive feast which consisted of crisps, peanuts, marshmallows, sweets, some freshly barbecued beef (this is still from the cow that was killed on Friday), salad and bread. There was of course desert which was ice cream and custard! I did tell you all they love to eat here J

I then did a bit more work before going to say hi to the older girls, who were having their lunch. Afterwards I got myself ready for my welcoming mass, which was also a goodbye mass for Father Jesus. All 88 children were present as well as 5 nuns from the nearby area. As you might be able to guess, the mass was followed by a great big...... FEAST. We had some more barbecued beef which they call a “braai” with some salad followed by some cakes and ice cream. By the way, if I come back massive from South Africa you know why! It is all out of my control :P

After helping Auntie Poomi with the washing up, I joined the children outside where they were having their own braai! Here I spent some time with some new children which I hadn't had a chance to mingle with as of yet! I played catch with a few of them but boy can those children run!!! I was also informed today that we have had a new girl arrive at the Home today so I’m going to keep an eye out for her over the next few weeks. There will also be two new children arriving either on Tuesday or Wednesday. Their mother unfortunately passed away in August and their father has just recently committed suicide.

This is just one of the many reasons why these children come to Saint Anthony’s, so I ask you please if you do pray, pray for these children. Thank you.

Monday 9th September - Pilgrimage to the Maria Ratschitz Mission      
           
Since Saint Anthony’s Home is celebrating its 50th anniversary on the 26th of October, Malume has decided that on every Monday for 9 weeks before the celebration, the staff will go on a pilgrimage to Maria Ratschitz. This is where Father Michael Pascal (establisher of Saint Anthony’s Home) was parish priest and also brought the children that were under his care at the time and together they climbed the mountain to the cross which is situated at the top. This is also where he was buried (he passed away September last year). During his time at Maria Ratschitz, Father Michael Pascal had a cross erected two thirds of the way up, which is where we will be climbing me to and having mass. He dedicated this cross to one of the children who was under his care. This child became an orphan at the age of 8 and so was looked after by his uncle who abused him constantly. Despite this, the child put up with his uncle and the abuse before being put under the care of Father Michael Pascal 7 years later.
So as a group, we prayed first at the chapel which is situated at the foot of the mountain called the Hlatikulu Mountain. We then said the “Our Father” by the tomb of Father Michael Pascal after which we started our climb to the first cross. We climbed together as a group and during our journey up, we stopped 5 times to pray the rosary. The climb itself was ok although it was very steep however the wind is what made it a lot harder and a lot scarier! But we made it J
We then had mass during which I read both the first reading and the responsorial psalm (another first for me!). The view was absolutely breath taking! 

After mass myself, Malume, Father Matthew, Busisiwe and one other member of staff (I unfortunately do not remember his name) went on to the second cross which is at the very top of the Hlatikulu Mountain. It was challenging again but the amazing view made it all worth it.

After a pray, we climbed back down again to where the others were and then as a group, we went all the way down to the chapel. Following a closing pray we said goodbye to Father Michael Pascal and returned to the mini bus for some food. By the time we arrived back at Saint Anthony’s, it was already 19:30 (we arrived at 10:30). After a much needed shower and some food, I went straight to bed and was fast asleep by 21:30!!!
It was a very challenging and tiring day but it was also very rewarding and beautiful. This is a definite must if anyone is ever in or near Blaauwbosch.  


Sunday 8th September - My first Mass

So today is Sunday and that only meant one thing.... mass. I was told before arriving that masses here are normally relatively long, approx 3-4 hours! They were not wrong however it is not the ceremony that takes a while, it is the announcement and speeches afterwards which take up a lot of time. As Sunday was the last mass of Father Jesus, there were A LOT of speeches... about 2 hours worth! However before they started, Father Jesus introduced me in front of the whole community (approx 200 people). He made me come to the front of the church and introduce myself. I was expecting to be introduced but I did not think he would make me stand up in front of everyone, nor did I expect to have to say anything!

After the mass, the children of the community had prepared some songs and of course lots of dancing! The Saint Anthony’s children did me proud! Here are a few pictures:

Sindi in her choir outfit

Girls from the community doing some traditional Zulu dancing. The yellow tops shows they are saving themselves for their wedding day.

One of the three drummers in their traditional Zulu outfit
That Sunday was in fact Mary’s birthday and it is a tradition at Saint Anthony’s that on this day, all of the children’s birthday is combined and celebrated. So we had a huge feast and ate it all together. Then we had a massive slice of cake. Here is a picture of the cakes:



There were 4 in total (2 blues and 2 pinks!). Each child (yes that means all 88 of them) also received a party blower... I think you can imagine the noise! It was great to see all of the children eating and playing together. They really are one great big family J

That pretty much sums up my last few days! Again if you have any comments please feel free to write them below!

Isabel x




No comments:

Post a Comment